8:30 p.m. Sunday, August 10, 2014
Members present by Skype
Liz Von Allmen
Jenny Porter Tilley
- Guest on Skype call. Interested in helping the organization. Lengthy conversation about specifics and actionable items. GAA-BOD has decided to move forward by following up with other potential contacts and resources.
- Discussion of modifying bylaws to meet needs of evolving board. Committee will address membership qualifications to add more individuals outside of our alumni base. Dawn and Liz spearheading committee; Ed and Jamison will serve. Kyle Snavely has resigned from the GAA-BOD. He will be spearheading the “Glassmen Experience” (GX) exploratory committee. Committee was formed to evaluate performance options as our organization evolves. Kyle and Jamison will move forward with this, Kim and Erin will assist in researching DCI, WGI, and SoundSport (John DiNovi). Specific information is needed. Cost, efficiency, and realistic timeline to be covered in research.
- Carol Dewan has graciously donated 50 cookbooks for us to sell, which are in Janet’s possession. Kim and Liz were able to meet with her at DCI Finals and pick them up. Books will be sold through GAA Website. No additional report at this time.
Secretary report/Liaison report
- Alumni outreach project a success. With the help of social media, we were able to construct a list of Glassmen alumni that are still marching and staffing – DCA and DCI.
- Independently, the members of GAA-BOD sought to create “something tangible” for these folks. A Glassmen Alumni patch was suggested, designed, and created with Jenny Porter Tilley and “The Studio” shop in LA, California. We paid $160 for 100 patches, an extra $40 was charged for expedited shipping. This was paid for via GAA BOD member donations, as well as donations from parents and staff of our Alumni. These patches were presented to Alumni with a letter of thanks and appreciation for continuing the Glassmen legacy.
- Brian Clark created an impromptu gathering space within Military Park (finals warmup location) which included some memorabilia and Glassmen signage. Positive experience, results, photos taken with intergenerational alums. Much interest in future of the corps from all. Contact information taken from individuals who stated they’d like to assist in any manner possible.
- Dawn discussed need to establish a business plan to begin pursuing donors and capital.
- Dan Acheson of DCI will provide us with expectations for moving forward.
- Seeking information on corps jackets. Many members paid for jackets but did not receive them. Company that handled Glassmen account may have gone out of business. Alumni were able to assist in determining prices paid, companies, and style numbers of past jackets.
- Photos are still being collected. Will send call for photos through alumni base.
- Chris reported on planning for ongoing events. Pursuing new events such as happy hours in various cities.
- Discussion of DCI alumni after party at Tiki Bob’s Indianapolis on Friday (8-10-14) of finals week. Minimal lead time on the event, made contact with a friend who manages restaurant/club, he was able to waive our cover charges and provided Glassmen alumni with a party room, drink and food specials. While location wasn’t necessarily ideal with noise level and venue — the turnout was a great start with type of event favorable in the future. 22 Alumni (including friends/spouses) attended.
- Voted 7-0 to approve last meetings minutes.
Adjournment (10:50 p.m.)
Next meeting will be 9 p.m. Monday, September 8, via Skype.